We spent this past weekend decorating our house for our neighborhood Halloween party coming up this week, and I made this cute jack-o-lantern balloon garland to hang on the mantel!
Upside down orange balloons make for the perfect pumpkin with a little green pipe cleaner stem. Add a spooky face with vinyl cut-outs and these balloons are almost as good as the real thing!
I freehand cut a range of spooky and silly faces from peel and stick removable vinyl for these pumpkin faces, but a black Sharpie would also do the trick!
Here's a sneak peek of some of the other decorations for our party (thanks to Minted for providing their Spirited Halloween Party decor!)! I've gotten out every Halloween decoration I've ever made…or accumulated for this party. It's going to be epic. ;)
Follow me on Periscope to see a tour of our "haunted house" later this week! In the meantime, read on to see how to make your own jack-o-lantern balloon garland!
Supplies for Pumpkin Balloon Garland
- 9" or 12" orange balloons
- Black removable vinyl (or Sharpie marker)
- Jack-o-lantern face template
- Green pipe cleaners
- Baker's twine or string
How to Make Pumpkin Balloon Garland
1. Start by tracing and cutting out spooky faces. I drew mine from looking at this template, but you could also cut out the shapes and trace them onto your vinyl. You can also use your Cricut or Silhouette if you have one!
2. Blow up your balloons (I only blew mine up about halfway to make them the size I wanted for the garland). Then add your faces by removing the vinyl backing and sticking them onto the balloon.
3. To create the garland, wrap a small piece of green pipe cleaner around the base of the balloon and use it to "tie" the balloon onto the string. Continue to string on each balloon in the same manner.
Once you have the length of garland you need (I used 5 balloons for my mantel), hang your garland and you're done! These work best if they are flat against a wall and you can arrange all the faces so that they are facing forward!
If you like these Jack-O-Lanterns, I've got lots of other Halloween balloon ideas for you! Find them and more here!