I love an impromptu trip to our neighborhood pool on a hot summer afternoon. But it is never easy to get out the door with a 3 year old and 5 year old in tow, so a well-stocked pool bag ready to go is a must! Today I'm partnering with Kandoo to share my top 10 pool bag essentials, and I have a tutorial for this colorful beach bag for you too. Can you guess what it's made from?!
I keep my beach bag hanging up in our laundry room along with our swimsuits, flip flops, towels, etc. so they are all in one place. Here are the 10 things you'll almost always find in my bag!
Top 10 Pool Bag Essentials
1. Towel - I'll start with the most obvious one you don't want to forget. I store clean towels ready to go in our beach bag. I bought a couple of these honeycomb beach towels from Target to add to our stash, and they are just the right size.
2. Sunscreen - Another obvious one but so important! I try to put sunscreen on my daughters and myself before we leave the house as I know the second they see the pool they'll want to jump in. However, I always bring extra with me to reapply if needed. I have been a spray sunscreen convert - it is just so much easier to apply than the cream with kids that don't stand still!
3. Swim Coverup - This crocheted cover-up provides just the right amount of coverage and has a cute tie around the middle.
4. Sunglasses - The sun is hot in Texas! It's hard to go outside without them, so these are a must-have in my pool bag. Here's my favorite pair this season.
5. Floppy Hat - I bought my first floppy beach hat this summer and I'm hooked! Would you believe my black straw hat was only $3 at Walmart? Not only is it fun to wear, it provides that extra coverage that my 35 year old skin needs.
6. Comb and Detangler - In case we need to run anywhere directly from the pool I like to have a detangler, comb, and some extra hair ties to whip our hair into shape.
7. Cold Drinks - It never fails...within minutes of getting into the pool my kids are hungry and thristy! I like to bring a separate cooler bag with some water and juice boxes.
8. Snack - We have a go-to pool snack - our poolside trail mix! It hits the spot when you have worked up an appetite swimming and are craving something salty and sweet. Come back to the blog tomorrow for our "special recipe"!
9. Wipes - A pack of wipes can be a lifesaver for a number of things - from chocolate-covered faces, to a runny nose, to an emergency toilet paper replacement if the pool bathroom happens to be out! These kids wipes are great because they are flushable.
10. A Good Read - Often times it is wishful thinking, but I can't head to the pool without grabbing something to read. For me, that usually means one of my favorite magazines. I'm happy if I can manage to flip through a few pages while watching the girls in the pool.
11. Pool Bag - Last but not least, don't forget the bag! This year I decided to make my own...out of a reusable shopping bag and duct tape. Yep, you read that right! I've got the tutorial for you below. ;)
Read on for the duct tape pool bag tutorial!